Michael Howard Smith – Artist

Mike Smith - Artist
“While walking the back streets of Maun I came upon a pool table placed in the shade of a palm tree. The taxi drivers were using the shade as a meeting place and killing time playing pool. I decided to make a painting of the scene and left out the taxis to keep the painting simple and give the impression pool was being played at the edge of the salt pans.
Several days later I decided to paint a second more geometric version of the pool players.I put on my abstract specs and painted the scene using triangles. This painting was more challenging to do but I'm pleased with the way both painting came out”.


Anecdote: in conversation with Mike he told me that, in his youth he would borrow his fathers camera and make photographs of trains in the North of England, as we got into the photography chat during the making of his portrait I asked him if he could recall the camera his father would lend him? After the shoot, packing up my equipment Mike announced his fathers camera was a Voigtlander. I smiled with my Nikon in my hand and showed mike the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 on it..  

No comments:

Post a Comment